CATERING: KITCHEN ASSISTANTGrade 2020 Scale 2 (2019 Band 1 – max)Reports to CATERING MANAGERLiaison with other catering staff, suppliers.Essex county Council are excited to be working in partnership with ST Andrews Primary school
location CO10 7EH Bulmer St Andrews
To assist as directed, with all aspects of the preparation of food and beverages to the standards required by the school.Duties
• To deputise for the Catering Manager as required (primary schools only)
• The preparation and simple cooking of food & beverages.
• Serving customers at the counter/hatch or from a trolley or kiosk as required.
• To undertake all aspects of cleaning equipment (light and heavy), walls (up to 6ft.) floors, fixtures and fittings, cooking utensils, cutlery, glassware etc. as directed.
• During service times, to ensure that tables and counters are as clean as reasonably practicable and adequately stocked.
• To maintain a high standard of personal and general cleanliness and hygiene to comply with statutory and school regulations.
• To attend training activities and/or meetings as required.
• Occasionally to assist with special functions at the school which may be outside of normal working hours.
• To report any customer comments or complaints and take any necessary remedial action if appropriate.
• Report immediately any accidents, fire, theft, loss, damage, unfit food or other irregularities and take such action as may be appropriate or possible.
• The duties above are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required by the Headteacher to carry out appropriate duties within the context of the job,
skills and grade.General
• To participate in the performance and development review process, taking personal responsibility for identification of learning, development and training opportunities in discussion with line manager.
• To comply with individual responsibilities, in accordance with the role, for health & safety in the workplace.
• To ensure that all duties and services provided are in accordance with the School’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
• The Governing Body is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
Qualifications & Experience
• Specific qualifications & experience
• Experience of the preparation and cooking of simple food & beverages
• Experience of Serving customers at the counter/hatch or from a trolley or kiosk as required.
• Experience of all aspects of cleaning equipment (light and heavy), walls (up to 6ft.) floors, fixtures, and fittings, cooking utensils, cutlery, glassware etc.
• Basic level of education in Literacy & Numeracy.
• Knowledge of relevant policies and procedures General understanding of the operation of a school
• Ability to maintain a high standard of personal and general cleanliness and hygiene to comply with statutory and school regulations.
• Ability to use kitchen and cleaning equipment
• Ability to complete basic forms
• Ability to exchange routine verbal information clearly with children and adults
• Seek support to overcome communication barriers with children and adults
• Consult with colleagues
• Understand and implement the school’s behaviour management policy
• Understand and support the differences in children and adults and respond appropriately
• Basic understanding of the learning experience provided by the school
• Basic understanding of the way in which children develop
• Understand the importance of physical and emotional wellbeing
• Working with partners & understand the role of others working in the school
• Ability to establish rapport and respectful and trusting relationships with children, their families and carers and other adults
• Ability to work effectively with other adults in the school
• Ability to provide timely and accurate information, as required
• Good organisational skills
• Ability to manage own time effectively.
• Ability to follow instructions.
• Demonstrate a commitment to equality.
• Health & Safety Basic understanding of Health & Safety
• Child Protection Understand and implement child protection procedures.
• Understand procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.