DigiGo Minibus Driver
Fixed Term, Full Time and Part Time
Up to £22,361 per annum (FTE)
Location: Braintree and surrounding areas
Working Style: Community-based worker
We are recruiting for multiple vacancies including full time and part time positions for AM and PM Shifts.
- Full Time working 37 hours per week over 5 days
- Part Time working 19.6 hours per week over 3 days (salary will be pro rata)
Full time positions include one full weekend and one Saturday and one Sunday out of every 5 weeks rolling rota. Part time positions include one full weekend and one Saturday and one Sunday out of every 6 weeks rolling rota.
Please note this is a fixed term contract position for 18 months.
DigiGo is a fully electric shared public transport service which offers on-demand or pre-bookable travel in parts of Essex. There is no fixed route or timetable, which puts the passenger in control of their journey. DigiGo is booked through the TravelEssex journey planning app.
As a DigiGo Driver, you will fulfil a vital role in the ultimate success of both high-profile schemes, taking pride in getting to know our passengers; offering a transport service that is personable, dependable and friendly. You’ll also get to drive our brand new, electric minibuses!
We’re looking for people with a caring and professional approach. The ideal person will naturally go above and beyond; acknowledging that our passengers value a friendly face and someone who is thoughtful and considerate. Flexibility is therefore essential.
As a Driver, you’ll be transporting a diverse range of the public; from students, commuters, older people and individuals with disabilities.
No two of your working days will likely be the same. You will be directed by a digital app on a tablet provided by Essex County Council, which will show your route depending on the demand of customers on the day. The area of operation varies from the suburban areas of Rayne and Great Notley to the scenic rural Essex countryside northwest of Chelmsford.
To find out more about the service, please visit: Essex Highways - DigiGo
- Log in and follow instructions from the digital app which will provide navigation instructions and other passenger information
- Daily checks of your vehicle to ensure safety, cleanliness and road worthiness
- Engaging with passengers on a daily basis, transporting them to their destination in a safe and comfortable manner
- Taking responsibility for safety on your vehicle at all times, including securing of equipment (e.g. tail lifts, wheelchairs), use of seatbelts and awareness of passenger needs
- Being the services first point of contact with customers and, where possible, resolving individual queries or concerns
- Timely communication of issues with your line manager to enable swift resolution.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Hold a valid driving license with a D1 entitlement - Essential
- Experience in working with customers from a broad and diverse range of backgrounds/needs
- Can demonstrate prior experience of being adaptable and flexible
- Ability to work in a timely manner with a calm and professional approach
- Ability to use a smartphone and/or tablet
- Ability to follow navigation and other instructions from the digital app
- Demonstrate good communication and social skills in a customer-based setting.
If successful, you will require
- An enhanced DBS check
- To undertake training in the use of a specific digital app that is integral to the service
- To undertake mandatory training; including MiDAS
- Undertake an Essex County Council minibus driver’s assessment.
To read more about us please visit: Climate, Environment and Customer Services
Please note that the job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Therefore, the post holder will need to have a driving licence and access to a vehicle, or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means.
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email Laura.O’Connor@essex.gov.uk