Employment Vetting Team Leader
Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £36,086 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 3rd October 2023
This is a fixed term or secondment opportunity for 12 months
People Operations sits within the People & Transformation function at Essex County Council (ECC). People Operations delivers a high standard of service to both ECC employees and to external customers, with our employees and customers at the heart of what we do. Working collaboratively across the organisation, People Operations is responsible for all people payments, resourcing, employee casework, first line HR queries, employment vetting and business development of external services to our partners.
The Employment Vetting Team Leader is the corporate subject matter expert on the compliance and vetting of all hires for both ECC and our external customers. As the Safer Recruitment Lead for the organisation the role will be accountable for ensuring that all hires made by ECC or our external customers meet compliance and vetting legislation and local policy. Leading a team of vetting officers, the role will drive a culture of customer excellence.
· Accountable for the team’s caseload of work, throughout the vetting process to the candidates first day to ensure a seamless process across all stakeholders. Responsible for ensuring ECC and our customers are safeguarded, compliant and expertly advised. The service delivered will be at pace, meeting all KPI’s and SLA’s and will be delivered with the customer experience at heart with pro-active communication to all parties.
· Work closely with Senior Resourcing Consultants, People Business Partners, wider leadership teams and across the council, to lead a vetting service that enables the right people in the right role. Delivering the best candidate experience, from employee brand awareness to onboarding, so they get off to the very best start.
· Offer subject matter expertise, operating in a fast-changing environment, with high demands for quality service. An in-depth understanding of employment law and the legislation pertinent to new and internal hires offer advice, guidance, and clarity to ensure we comply with all required legislations and policies.
· Candidates will have clear and timely communication giving them the best impression of their joining experience and enhancing our brand, hiring managers will receive regular, clear progress updates and report high level of service satisfaction, external customers will receive a high standard of service to ensure loyalty to ECC.
· Custodian of all corporate vetting policies, responsible for ensuring policies remain up to date. Responsible for in-depth understanding of legislation and policy and able to guide and advise colleagues throughout the process to ensure robust safeguarding.
· Self sufficient and curious to learn with a keen appetite for development, pro-actively staying up to date and anticipating legislative changes and ensure organisational policy and practice is changed to meet requirements.
· Able to develop a solid understanding of industry and internal governance procedures to enable sign off significant changes to policy and associated project management to implement changes.
· Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
The Experience You Will Bring
· Possess CIPD (level 5 or above) or equivalent experience. Evidence of professional development with expert knowledge in relevant professional area including recruitment and vetting legislation.
· Previous experience of Safer Recruitment Lead for a large complex organisation, with decision making responsibility, or equivalent experience as well as recent experience of managing a team, delivering both high volume, high-profile vetting with a proven background in effective delivery that delights our customers, challenging systems and processes and delivering outstanding results.
· Deep understanding of legislation, policy and technology, including anticipated market developments. Experience of delivering innovative, high quality services, revenue generation and ability to work as a partner across a business, up to board level and an in depth understanding of recruitment legislation.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, confident in influencing key stakeholders to drive the right recruitment decisions, passionate about delivering a best-in-class service with consistently high levels of hiring manager and candidate satisfaction. Confident in presenting up to and including FLT level, able to collate and present relevant, fact/evidence based trend and data and manage challenge up to FLT level.
· Experience in team management, productivity reporting, performance management ROI on headcount
· Experience of working in partnership to manage external supplier contracts, with the ability to lever maximum value for an organisation.
To read more about us please visit: People and Transformation
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you..
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community